Are you looking to add something new to the style and appeal of your home? Are you looking for renovation ideas to improve the value of your home? If that is the case, decorative concrete driveways available in exciting patterns and colours are the best choice.
Having a great decorative concrete driveway requires you to have a proper plan. You need to understand what the project entails so that you can have a basic idea of what to expect. Below are some frequently asked questions about decorative concrete driveways that will help you understand this paving method better:
- What is decorative concrete driveway? This is a specialised process in which an experienced paving contractor pours specially mixed, coloured concrete while treating it with molds and/or tools that provide the concrete with a textured look. The look can resemble nearly anything from slate to pavers to cobblestone and aggregate. The advantages of this paving method are that it has exceptional strength, it’s weather resistant, it can conform to any shape and it can also last longer than the traditional materials.Get the facts about concrete driveways dublin.
- What’s the cost of having a decorative concrete driveway? Decorative concrete is a really affordable alternative compared to pavers, stones, slate or brick. For a cost that is slightly more than regular concrete, you can experience the beauty and the advantages of a decorative concrete driveway. Together with the benefits of concrete over other paving materials, the value is well worth your investment.
- Are decorative concrete driveways difficult to maintain? No, it isn’t difficult to maintain provided that you wash off any contaminates as soon as you possibly can. After the trained pavement installers leave your home, your driveway will be almost maintenance-free. A simple occasional sweeping and washing is all you will need to keep your driveway looking beautiful. To maintain your driveway’s original luster, it’s recommended that you coat the concrete with protective sealer every three to four years. Your paving contractor should provide you with the necessary maintenance and care instructions for your decorative concrete driveway.
- How can I find the right contractor to install the pavement on my driveway? You can look online, on local directories or ask the people you trust for referrals. Alternatively, you can look at the decorative concrete driveways in your neighbourhood and get the names of the paving contractors who installed the driveways that attract you most. Ensure you ask the homeowners about their experience with the respective contractors and their quality of workmanship. You can also get references from your friends, home builders or the local ready-mix suppliers.
- Should I seal my driveway? You need to apply a high quality sealer to your driveway, since the sealer aids in protecting the concrete from moisture absorption, grease and oils stains and exposure to chemicals. On the decorative coloured concrete, the sealer will also help improve the colour. Irrespective of the sealer you use, make sure you apply it according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- What happens when the colour on the finished project isn’t what I expected? It is a bit unrealistic to expect your paving contractor to exactly match the colour of your driveway to a sample in the showroom, the decorative concrete driveway in the neighbouring home, or a picture from a brochure. Even the plain concrete may exhibit some colour variations, particularly if the project needs more than a single load of concretes or the concrete placements are done on different days. Majority of such variations are negligible and will usually fade over time.
- How should I choose the pattern of my driveway in relation to my home’ exterior design? The paving contractors will work with you to assess the appearance and style of your home, for instance, if it’s rustic, traditional or maybe a twist of both? The contractors will also find out what you’re trying to create with the setting of your area. Once they’ve done that, they will pull colours from various areas to make the area flow together.
- How does the decorative concrete driveways compare to the natural stone? Decorative concrete is not only more cost-effective, it’s also more durable compared to natural stone. This is because water can’t penetrate grout joints, freeze or even pop loose. Nearly all natural stones will flake when exposed to UV rays. Also, the sealing maintenance for the decorative concrete will last up to three times longer when you use an acrylic sealer, which can’t be used on the natural stone.
- Can I get a warranty for my decorative concrete driveway? Yes, you can. A good number of paving contractors will warrant their work, and you might be able to get an extended warranty. Remember to talk to your contractor about this before you go ahead and sign for the project.
In conclusion, I hope that the above frequently asked questions about decorative concrete driveways will help you have a basic idea of what this paving method involves.